If you are an adult child starting to explore living options for an elderly parent we know you want to find best care possible and probably have a lot of questions like what is the the difference between an assisted living memory care community and a nursing home?
Many families assume assisted living memory care is simply a more modern version of a nursing home. But there is more to it than that. They really are very different options for senior care, especially if considering care for someone with memory loss. Some differences include:
- An assisted living memory care community generally provides care and assistance for residents who need help with activities of daily living (ADL), such as bathing, dressing or even using the bathroom. Their daily programs and activities are specifically designed around engaging those with memory loss. A nursing home is more focused on medical care for people who have more complex health care need including tubes.
- Both types of senior living providers offer support with medication management or medication reminders.
- Assisted living memory care communities like The Memory Center, typically look more like a private home or an upscale condominium community. Residents usually have a private or semi-private suite or apartment. In a nursing home, the environment is more like a hospital because of the higher level of medical needs.
- The life enrichment programs at an assisted living memory care community are usually more active and diverse than those offered for residents who live in a nursing home. The life enrichment programs offered in assisted living includes multiple daily activities, scheduled events and outings and special concerts or programs.
- Dining in an assisted living memory care community is usually more like a restaurant style experience with choices available offering a pleasant dining environment. At The Memory Center we even incorporate a Happy Hour in our Tavern. In a nursing home meal time is normally more structured with fewer food choices and more meals are delivered to a resident’s room.
- Housekeeping and transportation are usually provided in both a nursing home and an assisted living community.
If an assisted living memory care community like The Memory Center sounds like it might meet your loved one’s needs, please call or contact us for more information or ask a question.