Millions of Americans are living with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia. As more of the population reaches age 65 and above, instances of the disease continue to rise.
Alzheimer’s is a progressive disease that causes memory loss and behavioral changes that eventually leaves the person unable to safely care for themselves. In the early stages of the disease many spouses and family members prefer to care for their loved one at home, but as the demands of the disease increase often residential care will become necessary.
While family members want the best for their loved one, the cost of care is a very real consideration, and memory care can be expensive.
How Much Does Memory Care Cost?
The cost of living in a memory care facility depends on several factors including private vs. semi-private room, cost of living in the geographic area, level of care needed, medical supplies and more.
While there is not one specific price for memory care, SeniorHomes.com compiled the average cost of memory care by state.
The states with the most expensive median monthly memory care costs are:
- Maine – $5,800
- Massachusetts – $5,642
- Vermont – $5,575
- Connecticut – $5,344
- Rhode Island – $5,270
The states with the least expensive median monthly memory care costs are:
- Idaho – $3,165
- Mississippi – $3,233
- New Mexico – $3,440
- South Carolina – $3,703
- Arkansas – $3,792
Memory Care Costs in Virginia
The reported median cost of memory care in Virginia was $4,100 per month. Keep in mind this means some facilities will cost less and some will cost more.
Comparing Alzheimer’s and Dementia Care Costs
When gathering information or touring residential facilities find out exactly what is included in the monthly cost. These costs vary from one facility to the other so knowing what is, or isn’t, included will help you accurately compare and avoid surprises later.
The Memory Center in Virginia Beach and Midlothian/Richmond offers an all-inclusive rate so families know what to expect.
Our memory care pricing includes:
- Private & semi-private rooms including private bathrooms
- Three daily meals, snacks, and daily ice cream socials
- Emergency pull cord in every room
- Memory boxes to help stimulate meaningful memories of their life
- Utilities to include: Cable, Telephone & Wi-Fi
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Maintenance of building and grounds
- Outings with the Activities Program
- Items from visits to the General Store
- Highly trained staff to assist with activities of daily living including bathing, dressing, eating, and toileting
- Medication management by our certified medication technician
- Health monitoring by an RN nurse
- Medical oversight by physician trained in geriatric care
- Full activities and Memories and Motion program designed by our Activities Director
- Physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy with a physician prescription as needed
- Hospice/End of Life Care available
The only additional costs are incontinence supplies, salon services, long-distance telephone or transportation to an individual appointment.
Find Out More About the Cost of Memory Care In Virginia
There are several options for memory or dementia care in Virginia. The Memory Center communities provide care solely for those living with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. Founded as the first assisted living facility devoted specifically to memory care, our program is designed to meet the challenging conditions of an aging brain with a caring, interactive community.
Utilizing the latest in science, nutrition, and interactive therapies, our daily structured activities provide meaningful purpose to those with memory loss. All Memory Center communities are built around our original Town Center and Neighborhood layout and feature focused programming and daily activities. We get to know each resident for who they are today – not who they used to be.
Contact us to learn more about the cost of memory care, or find out more about our programs and what to a typical day looks like in our assisted living facilities.