What is Memory Care?
Memory care refers to long-term skilled care specifically for individuals living with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia who can’t live on their own any longer.
Memory care provides around the clock supervised care including meals, appropriate activities, bathing and routine medical care. Its should not ever mean that someone living with memory loss sits alone in a chair all day watching television, doesn’t have the opportunity to participate in activities, can’t benefit from social interaction or doesn’t deserve to be treated like the person they are.
A quality memory care community recognizes residents as true individuals. They will offer activities accessible to all levels of dementia designed to promote daily purpose and meaning while treating them with dignity.
Some assisted living communities may have a special area designated just for memory care residents. Others, like The Memory Centers, are specifically designed to specifically address the needs of those in cognitive decline.
When considering a memory care community look for:
- Around the clock care for bathing, toileting, dressing and other personal needs with staff that connect with residents on a personal level – not staff who are there just to earn a paycheck
- An impressive and ongoing staff to resident ratio with low turnover
- Full dining services including all meals that include fresh ingredients and are appealing – something you would actually want to eat every day
- A full activities program including evening activities to reduce sundowning and agitation
- Specially designed layouts to reduce trip hazards and address safety concerns including wandering
- Staff trained to care for those living in cognitive decline
- Medical care
Considering assisted living or memory care for a loved can be a very difficult decision, and finding the right facility is important. Not only for your loved one’s health and well being, but for your own peace of mind. The Memory Center guide to touring can help you think about what to look for on a tour and important questions to ask so you make the right decision.
About The Memory Center
Currently the Memory Center operates two facilities, Midlothian (near Richmond) and Virginia Beach. Our communities provide exceptional care for those living with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. We founded the first assisted living facility devoted specifically to memory care with a program designed to meet the challenging conditions of an aging brain with a caring, interactive community.
Contact us for more information or to set up a tour and see the difference for yourself.